Master builder Benjamin Hall converted an empty lot into an elegant urban infill project in downtown Phoenix, Arizona. Offering six studio apartments, White Stone Studios is the epitome of micro-dwelling made easy. Located in downtown Phoenix, in a neighbourhood that locals call the Triangle, White Stone Studios furnishes a modern, clean aesthetic amidst what might become the city’s new urban hub. These 450-square-foot rentals are flanked with additional 200 square feet of private interior and exterior greenspaces. Custom oversized white oak doors welcome renters to their units, while aging raw steel awnings protect residents from the elements. Hall designed and fabricated all steel components – some of which were built years prior to breaking ground, like this custom door jam, deadbolt and mail-slot piece. The architecture was designed with affordable commodity items in mind, including Ikea cabinetry, Ace Hardware gas pipes and Home Depot appliances.
The walls are built of polished double-sided white concrete masonry units that double as both the interior and exterior finish and are foam-filled for maximum insulation value. The roof also makes use of foam insulation, rendering the building super insulated. The residential complex is optimally positioned for natural daylight while still mitigating direct solar exposure. These two approaches help reduce heating and cooling costs in the Sonoran desert climate.
Perceptually, the cozy bathroom increases in dimension due to the full-height window that looks into the private atrium, ideal for a long soak in the bath tub. Hall customized countertops from Ikea into luxury barn door sliders. In addition, he recessing mirrored Ikea medicine cabinets into the block to create a full-height mirrored panel.
The atriums and patios are carved out of the solid exterior shell to provide an abundance of natural light, while maintaining a private and protective mass. The rough wood fencing that wraps the perimeter of the complex is constructed of pallet wood that Hall reclaimed from existing job sites around Phoenix.
Photos courtesy of White Stone Studios
Ten most popular posts
- 14 great ways to store your shoes
- 12 great small kitchen designs
- 10 great space-saving beds
- Get some extra mileage out of your sleeping space with these 12 storage beds
- This foldable bicycle camper lets you live comfortably on the road
- Ten great bunk beds for kids
- You can nearly double the size of the Gidget Retro Teardrop Camper by simply sliding it out
- This micro-camper triples its size in 25 seconds
- Ten space-saving desks that work great in small living spaces
- Transforming cabinet with hidden table and chairs from Claudio Sibille